• Clustrmap

• Meta

• Categories

• Using Edmodo for Global Connections

January 22, 2013 by

Edmodo is an excellent platform for creating connections between classrooms in different parts of the world.  In the past, I’ve always had “snail mail” pen pals for my 3rd grade students, but once I found Edmodo, I realized it was the perfect place for online pen pals.  So last year I created the Edmodo Pen Pal Project in conjunction with the Global Classroom Project.

How Does It Work?  Classrooms are grouped into age appropriate clusters of 4/5.  The teachers of those students will create an Edmodo group for that cluster and take turns providing discussion topics for the children.  Sample topics might include favorite foods, holidays, school subjects, free time activities, sports, etc.  Upper grades might discuss current events or topics for a certain historical event.  Teachers in a cluster may decide to put students into small groups for a book discussion or to collaborate on a writing project.

Join Now! The next round of the Edmodo Pen Pal Project will begin in February and run until about May.  It is appropriate for students ages 7 to 18 and will help students learn to respect and appreciate the opinions, cultures and customs of others.  To get more information and sign up visit the WIKI page.

Posted in Uncategorized | | | 2 Comments

2 Responses to ' Using Edmodo for Global Connections '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Using Edmodo for Global Connections '.

1.    Robert Hernandez said,

on January 24th, 2013 at 10:10 pm   Reply

Hi Mrs. Schmidt,

I’m with the Flat Stanley project, have you heard of it?

2.    Mrs. Schmidt said,

on January 25th, 2013 at 12:48 am   Reply

Hi Robert,
      Yes, I have taken part in Flat Stanley. I collaborated with a teacher in New Zealand and we exchanged Flat Stanleys via snail mail. After that we kept in touch by posting photos on a wiki and having the students chat with each other on Edmodo. Great project!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Making Global Connections: The Edmodo Pen Pal Project | Edmodo – Where learning happens.